8.12.2011

Brokenness doesn't equal loneliness

It was hard for me to figure out how to begin this post. I obviously haven't written in a while because so much has been going on. But I want this post to be very specific. Three years ago today one of my uncles took his own life. I'm not going to lie and say I was super close to him. In a way that makes it painful in a whole different way. Being a person who suffers from depression, it sucks to say the least. Brokenness, whether it is depression or not, just straight up sucks. But the thing is, it is inevitable. Not in the "life's a bitch and then you die," kind of way... more so in a "every single person on this earth has something that brings them pain," kind of way.

As you all know I'm super in love with this being that created the universe and junk in that trunk. All joking aside, I've had to wrestle with the whole issue of why there is suffering and why things such as what happened to my uncle happen happen about 2,000 times each day in the world. I totally encourage you to wrestle with that too but I'm not going to tell you my opinion in this post. Part of my point is, everyone has pain. There are 7 billion people living on this ball of mass and all 7 billion of us have something that makes us broken. Those of you who read the bible probably know that the super great king named David (who is in a great majority of the OT) suffered from depression. He also had an STD. Homeboy was the definition of brokenness. I mean read the Psalms and you can read all about his pain.

Well that's sad. Let's just be done with this post and peace out girl scout. NO. The other part of my point is that we are not meant to suffer alone. We are meant to dive into another person's brokenness with them and let someone dive into your brokenness with you. We were created for love. Not only to love but to be loved. Even in your brokenness, however messy it may be, you are lovely. I don't mean that you are lovely as in worthy of love once you're all cleaned up and pretty again. No way. I mean like big buff man crying like a baby asking for his mama, woman who just rolled out of bed having stinky breath and leftover makeup under your eyes, scrawny pasty kid who farts all the time as jokes - right where you are: you are worthy of love.

Basically... my purpose of writing this was to just let you know that I know you're broken. You know I'm broken. I know the person above my apartment who walks way too loud is broken. We're all broken. Don't let someone (including yourself) suffer from the excess pain that comes with attempting to tough it out and go through your brokenness alone. Allow someone to love you. And don't forget to love the people you come in contact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment